Friday, June 4, 2010

Sections 4 & 5!





Just as planned, I began hiking late afternoon on Section 4. I climbed steadily through forests of mixed conifers and many lovely aspen forests in the Lost Creek Wilderness. As daylight began to fade, I needed to get to a better area for an overnight camp, and finally found a good spot after 9 miles -- more than I thought I'd do that first day. A chilly night, woke up to frost and a cloudy sky, but I slept well and warm. After a most tasty and satisfying breakfast of oatmeal with flaxseed meal, walnuts and dried apples, I was soon on my way. Before I knew it, I was well into Section 5, so I figured I'd see if I could make it all the way to Kenosha Pass. I passed the many miles singing (...take me home, country roads...) and enjoying / photographing wildflowers. Although most of the miles were solo, I did visit with a few folks...a fellow who told me he was hiking home to Summit County, and a thru-hiker and her dog from Durango who was thinking she may need snowshoes for the next section over Georgia Pass (which I will not get to until the latter part of June, hopefully after much of the snow melts -- please let me know if you're interested in hiking Section 6 with me). The hiking was relatively easy, and soon I was hearing the traffic on US285. I got to the pass and my car at around 6:30 and was home by 9:30, a day early, tired, but pleased after a great day of 22 miles hiked and a thousand beautiful sights along the Colorado Trail. Here are some photos from along the trail...I was especially pleased to find several clumps of this beautiful orchid; notice the bear claw marks in the aspen tree.

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    You bring back great memories! Art and I hiked this section 15 years ago. Kenosha Pass, out for two days, a third day round trip up into Lost Creek, and then back to the Pass. This was to see if Jean could carry her share. Yes!
    Jean Smith

    ReplyDelete