Friday, July 16, 2010

Back on the trail!

In the morning, I plan on getting back onto the Colorado Trail, this time taking off from Copper Mountain for Sections 8 and 9. My friend Alex Martinez plans on hiking about 17 miles on day one with me, ending up in the old Camp Hale area. (Camp Hale was a WWII military base where the 10th Mountain Division learned mountain skills, such as winter survival and skiing. Many 10th Mtn. Division veterans returned to Colorado after the war and were instrumental in developing the ski industry.) If all goes according to plan, I will finish Section 8 and then Section 9 on the following day or two (how long it takes me depends on how strong I feel). This will put me past the 150 mile mark and into the Sawatch Range, heading south along the eastern side of the Collegiate Peaks. Pledges are above $36 / mile - so the next few days of hiking will bring over $1400 towards our Nature Education programs. Thank you for making this effort a success!

1 comment:

  1. just dropped dave and his friend Alex Martinez off at the trailhead. It's a beautiful summer morning with the light just hitting the mountain tops.the colorado rockies are majestic today...that breathtaking beauty that is colorado's alone. you can track dave today and tomorrow...he's aiming to his the trail halfway mark this weekend.

    ReplyDelete